I have written before about GRAMPS, an excellent genealogy program for use on Linux systems. You can see my latest review of GRAMPS if you click here. Now the producers of GRAMPS have announced the release of a new version. The following is an announcement from the GRAMPS Project:
The GRAMPS project is pleased to announce the 2.0.0 ("The Bright Side of Life") release of GRAMPS, the Genealogical Research And Management Programming System. After more than a year of development, GRAMPS is releasing the new branch that becomes its "stable" series.
GRAMPS is a GNOME genealogy program that allows you to easily build and keep track of your family tree. Whether you are new to genealogy or an experienced genealogist, GRAMPS should be able to meet your needs. Supporting databases of up to about 100,000 people, GRAMPS can handle most family trees.
GRAMPS is capable of importing data from and exporting data to other genealogy programs using the GEDCOM interchange format. Reports can be generated in OpenOffice.org, HTML, PDF, AbiWord, Kword, RTF, LaTeX, and PostScript formats. All data is stored in Berkeley database, with backwards compatibile imports and exportts for the XML format used by the 1.0.x series. GRAMPS can be extended using a plugin system, supporting plugins written in the Python language.
Translations are available for Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Esperanto, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, and Swedish languages. The manual is available in English.
For more information, see the GRAMPS project site [at http://gramps.sourceforge.net].
Screenshots are available.
Changes from the 1.0.x series include:
- Berkeley database backend
- Changes are written to disk immediately
- Removal of alphabetical tabs
- Ability to add/remove/rearrange columns in list views
- Removal of Save function and addition of Undo
- Proper window management and removal of most modal windows
- Support for Tip of the Day
- Person-dependent context menus (right-click) in Pedigree View listing parents, children, spouses, and siblings
- Export wizard
- Built-in Find function in list views
- Date selector dialog
- Name editor enhancements: patronymic names and non-default grouping
- Recent file support (both gramps-specific and gnome-wide)
- Native editing (in memory) for GRAMPS XML and GEDCOM formats
- New import and export filters available for the GeneWeb format.
- New report (Statistics Chart) added
- Persistent options for reports
- The new command line functionality (opening and report generation)
- Better date internationalization (date parsers available for French, Russian, and Spanish, with Finnish in the works).
- Better name internationalization (patronymics and non-default grouping).
- Mime types for formats known to GRAMPS.
- Schemas and proper structure for GConf keys, immediate preference effect.